Thursday, February 6, 2014

If I'm Too Rough: Don't Play


"Where ya going Jacky boy?" Val said without looking up from her shiny blood red nails.  Jack stopped, and leaned on the desk that she sat behind.
 "My usual answer would be 'Nowhere fast'," he said with a smirk.
"Let us dispense with the usual, it is so dull after all."  She kept on examining her nails.  Jack scanned the desktop, for her cigarettes and helped himself to one before saying: " I will dispense with the usual answers, if the questions change."  Val put down her emory board, swiveled her legs out from under the desk crossed them and said, "Fine.  How about where are 'we' going Jacky boy?"
"Where would 'we' like to go?" Jack said and lit his cigarette, as he leaned across the desk toward her.  She swiveled her chair again, put her elbows on the desk, and her chin in her hands.  She rolled her eyes, raised her eyebrows and spoke coquettishly saying, " Oh I don't know... any place that is far away and secluded where hopeless romantics can go to be oogled over by a tall dark and handsome man. 
"There ain't no such place sister," Jack said as he leaned away and blew smoke in the air.
"You're no fun."
"I'm mean too."  Jack said and stood up to walk down the corridor and out of the office.
"Just a little rough around the edges," she said and went back to manicuring.
"Serrated maybe?"
To that she chuckled and said: "They certainly broke the mold, Jack Covington."
Jack took a drag off his cigarette and said: " I like to think that I am the mold that they scraped off the bread that they wanted to keep."
"And what am I?  The expired mayonnaise?"  Val said with a laugh.
"No you are white wonder bread tastes good, but no nutritional value."
"You ARE mean," she said looking up from her nails.
"If I'm too rough, don't play, besides, I left my kid gloves in another life."  Jack turned away from the scowling woman and exited.

No comments:

Post a Comment