Monday, February 17, 2014

Another Excerpt From The Bible 2: The 'New' New Testament


The Bible Two:  The ‘New’ New Testament:
Stories from hell…

An Excerpt from the Journal of Jack Covington P.I.

I don’t know how many days it has been.  I stopped counting.  Eternity is longer than expected.  For how long I have been here, not much has changed, I could’ve died yesterday.  That is the worst part the monotony, and the never really knowing when or if it will end.  In life I went looking for lost things.  Stamp collections, wayward husbands, drunks, runaways, a cat once.  And mostly what I found were lost souls.  People wanting to stay lost and I robbed them of that.  Now in death I have been hired again to find a few lost souls.  When the big guy(the prince of darkness, satan) called on me I thought about telling him to shove it.  But good old Lu found a way to tug at that place inside me.  That place that doesn’t like questions and is always searching for answers.  When he informed me the world that I had known had ended I didn’t care much.  It had ended for me long ago.  What did interest me.  The reason I am working for him now, is when the world ended there were three souls that were supposed to come straight to hell that never showed.  Now rule number one of the afterlife is: you cannot escape your fate.  If someone had stumped the big guy, they had done something that countless others including myself could not do.  Honestly, I wanted to know how.  I also knew that this case would allow me access to the whole shebang.  All the circles, purgatory, even the pearly gated paradise for the beleivers.  This was an opportunity he knew I wouldn’t shy away from.  Especially now that the world had ended and all in it had been judged.  I will admit it I wanted to find her.  I wanted to know where she ended up.  I wanted to know how it had all got so damn fucked up.  Above all I needed to know why.
I left Lu’s offices and began to walk down the dilapidated street set on both sides with burning buildings.  I shut my ears to the cries of the suffering tenants there was nothing I could do for them anyway.  I lit a cigarette, by my count it wasn’t evening yet, but since there was no sky there was no way to tell.  The fluorescent streetlamps overhead did nothing but cast ghoulish shadows on the sidewalk.  As I walked the foul stench from the greenish yellow boiling lake drifted into my nostrils and burned my lungs.  I pulled the collar of my jacket up over my nose.  I knew where I needed to go first I just hoped he was home.  At the edge of the lake I looked across at the crumbling mansion, as the sulfur bubbled and spat flame in the air.  Yeah, I better go talk to Lenny I thought. 

 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment